Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Disneyland General Discussion and Trip Planning » Trip report: first time in Disneyland and Diamond Celebration (20/07/15 - 23/07/15)

Discuss Disneyland Resort character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed |
7/26/2015 4:10 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Hello everybody!! I'm recently back from my first trip to the Disneyland Resort, where I had the chance to check out the cool stuff they have for the 60th Diamond celebration.This time I went with my parents and we actually spent some time (about 2 weeks and a half) traveling across the West side of the states including California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah before we reached Anaheim.
I thought I’d start by sharing some park-unrelated (but Disney nonetheless) pictures from our time in LA.

El Capitan

Our first encounter with Mickey this trip :p

The Chinese theatre

Also, during our first stop in LA at the beginning of the trip we stayed in the Millenium Biltmore hotel in Downtown. Turns out this hotel hosted a couple of Oscar ceremonies back in the day, one of which is the one in which Walt Disney received the Oscar for Snow White!! They have a mini museum corridor where they have pictures from these ceremonies on display, including one of Walt Disney and that little girl with the locks whose name I can’t remember right now, and the Snow White Oscars. There is also another really big ones of all the attendees sitting at their tables and if you look closely you can spot Walt and his wife sitting at one of the tables. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take any pictures!! But just thought it was an interesting little piece of information to share, since they are making the park Diamond celebration all about Walt.

Anyway, finally after a couple of weeks of travelling, we returned to LA to get ready for our first trip to the park!! =D Yay! We headed to LAX to board the Disneyland Express to Anaheim. Now this was something else… Worst experience I have had EVER, and that is saying something else… Apart from the buses being super old and stinky and needing a bit of a renewal and the fact they could at least use their little screens to show you a Disney movie or something considering the price you are paying… We were about to load the bus and the driver seemed to just know nothing… I had pre-booked tickets and when I went to give them to him he said no no. I was like… Ok… no further explanation. Another woman wanted to buy tickets and he was like no no I take no money and didn’t give her any explanation either… When she asked him a question about the hotel that she was staying at and the stop he was like ohh we don’t stop there! And she was like but I checked and you do… and he was like no no, I don’t know that hotel… Then when I told him where we were going (Best Western Plus Stovall’s Inn), which definitely IS one of the first stops for the bus, he also didn’t seem to know either… We got on anyway… we passed directly in front of what should have been our stop, right in the Paradise Pier corner on Katella Avenue and he just kept driving and driving until he reached the other side with Hollywood Boulevard… I got off to ask him and he was like oh yess don’t worry we will be stopping there… I was a bit like… mmmm this doesn’t make any sense but ok… after driving around Anaheim 1 HOUR AND A HALF later, and after the last stop, I had to actually go and show him on the map where the hotel was… (and having driven by it twice already!!!) he drove us there and left us right at the door. He did apologize profusely but I mean… Wow. 1 hour and a half driving around Anaheim without any need whatsoever! Just wow, way to kill the Disney mood!!!

Luckily this being Disney it was easy to forget about our initial disaster! Eventually we got our room at the Best Western, which again, completely forgot to take pictures but it was big and lovely. The breakfast was included in the room rate and it was nothing out of the ordinary but more than enough. The swimming pools looked great although we never really got a chance to use them. And it would only take us about 10 min to get to Downtown Disney going through the Grand California. I would definitely stay here again!

After freshening up a bit we headed to Coco’s, the restaurant next door to have some dinner. It was excellent. I mean, it’s no fine cuisine, but good home-made American food for good value and much cheaper than you would fine in the parks or Downtown.

After finishing dinner, some time after 6 or 7 pm we started making our way towards Downtown.

As soon as we reached the Grand California Hotel, it was very clear that Disney was celebrating!! Diamond decorations were absolutely everywhere. Well done Disney! You will find a recurring theme of me forgetting to take pictures… While I usually take thousands of them, this time, since everything was so new to me, I was too busy taking it all in to take pictures! But I did take some, like this massive cake (yes, cake!) in the hotel:

We spent the next couple of hours exploring Downtown, which I loved!! Here are a couple of shots:

The Lego Store

We didn’t stay too late as tomorrow we had to get up early to enjoy our full first day of Disney Magic!!!
0 permalink
7/27/2015 8:07 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Yay! I'm glad you were finally able to get there for the first time - and during the 60th, too! Amazing!
Looking forward to hearing what you thought of the resort, etc. Big Grin

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
7/28/2015 4:37 PM
DisneyDuckLover
Thumper
DisneyDuckLover

Yayyy I want moreee

--
Blog: http://DisneyDuckLover.blogspot.co.uk
Twitter: www.twitter.com/DisneyDuckLover
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/disneyducklover/
--
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR PHOTO UPDATES OF MY TRIPS TO THE PARKS!
0 permalink
7/28/2015 6:43 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

DisneyDan Wrote:
Yay! I'm glad you were finally able to get there for the first time - and during the 60th, too! Amazing!
Looking forward to hearing what you thought of the resort, etc. Big Grin

I know!! I was soo happy we managed to fit a trip to the resort in our schedule!! =D
0 permalink
7/28/2015 6:44 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 1, part 1 (21/07/15)

So finally it was time for our first day in the park!!! We got up nice and early and after having breakfast in our hotel we headed to the parks. This may sound strange, but we actually headed for Disney California Adventure rather than Disneyland. The reason for this was simply that being the middle of July, we were trying to work around the crowds and since Disneyland had magic mornings that day, it’d probably be busier (plus it usually is busier, magic mornings or not). So we were in beautiful Buena Vista Street at 8.05 am. So our plan since this was our first visit, was to try and see as much of the park as possible, and balancing attractions with shows and characters!
Mickey Mouse was already out meeting his guests! And he already had a queue so we moved on to our first ride of this trip which was Soaring over California without any wait. This was great! A nice and smooth way to start our day! Plus since we had just been visiting California and we had seen most of the sites that you visit in this attraction it was actually like watching a nice summary of our visit to California!
I then tried to get us Fastpasses for World of Color but they were only issuing fastpasses for the first show and we were aiming for the second one. Trying to watch this show was a rather painful… But moving on, we headed to Bug’s Land to get our fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers!! Since we were around we decided to jump into Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree as it didn’t really have any wait.

This was unexpectedly a really fun ride!! And the song was very catchy!! We continued towards Hollywood to try and get Fastpasses for meeting Anna and Elsa.

Now, unfortunately this was rather chaotic… When I went to get them, the cast member told me that there wasn’t really any wait and that I should just walk in… I must have looked at him funny or something ‘cause he then decided he would give me the fastpasses anyway, which were due in 20 min. In the mean time, I decided to run and sort out our Photopass, which I never actually got in the post (at all, not even to this day!). When I came back and we went into the Animation Building, there was a really long queue of at least 1 – 2 hours, and there was no difference whether you had a fastpass or not. I mean… isn’t the point of Fastpasses to reduce the waits? I understand you don’t get to just walk in, but I mean… over an 1 hour wait having a fastpass just doesn’t feel right. Since I wasn’t too fussed about Anna and Elsa anyway, we decided to just skip it and head over to say hello to my favourite snowman!!!

Best warm hug ever!!

Also, turns out that while I was gone to sort out the Photopass, this little guy appeared! He was not out for long as he was not there when I left or when I came back… My mum was smart enough to take a picture :p

After our lovely meet with Olaf, we went on the Monsters ride.

Talking about monsters, Sully must be enjoying his summer holidays cause we walked around the Monster University area a couple of times during our trip but we never saw him…

We were heading towards Buena Vista Street when we noticed little Sofia was out! We didn’t stop to meet her this time…

We also bumped into Goofy who was heading towards his daily dancing performance with Five and Dime, making sure to greet everybody on the way, which was very nice for him! Unfortunately he wasn’t stopping for pictures this time. We followed him anyway to watch his excellent dance moves for a while.

Five and Dime were great also by the way!! I’ve never gotten a chance to experience live entertainment in DLP so that was one of my favourite parts of the parks! Here there seemed to be live entertainment wherever you looked!!

Oswald was at his spot greeting his fans, but there was quite a long queue so we postponed our meeting for a quieter time…

We decided to head over to Paradise Pier, crossing through Grizzly Peak to check on the Fastpasses for World of Colour. The cast member said to return around 4 or 5, but since we wanted tickets for the blue area, I wanted to make sure we would get there early… but still nothing… Luckily, we bumped into my favourite dog on the way, so it was worth the trip!

Again, we didn’t stop for pictures this time… I know I know, we were skipping a lot of characters, but we were trying to make the most out of the early hours when the queues for rides weren’t too long!
Next we headed to ride Ariel’s!!

I absolutely loved this ride!! Not just because Ariel is my favourite princess, but it is actually really nicely done, it’s a beautiful ride!!

0 permalink
7/29/2015 4:41 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 1, part 2

After our wonderful under the sea ride, we decided to get our Wilderness Explorer Badges, so we headed to the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. I felt this was mostly targeted at kids, but it was still a nice enjoyable walk in the shade, which wasn’t too bad. We saw Russel at the ceremony, although it was very busy so we didn’t actually stay to meet him. We figured we’d come back if we had time in our last day!

We then headed to Paradise Pier as we wanted to get Fastpasses for Goofy’s Sky School, but it was actually closed down due to technical difficulties. We decided to ride the Silly Symphony Swings instead since there wasn’t much of a queue.

We continued our wander around the area, and we also saw Woody was meeting at his usual spot, although we didn’t stop.

Instead, we were getting quite hungry, so we got ourselves some turkey legs in one of the food stalls. These things are fantastic!! They are relatively cheap and very very filling! For us they counted as a full meal anyway! And they are great if you want just something quick to eat on the go.
After our quick meal, I got myself a Fastpass for California Screaming (my parents decided to skip this one… :P) and we made our way to Cars Land as our Fastpasses for Radiator Spring Racers were up!

Despite our picture being ruined by this lovely lady, we loved this ride!! It was such a different ride to everything else and loads of fun!! We would definitely try to ride again before going home!

Next thing we decided to go back to check on the World of Color fastpasses, finding Donald in his usual spot beside Ariel’s Grotto on the way.

Luckily this time they had finally started issuing the fastpasses for the second show!! And also, Grizzly River Run, which hadn’t been working all morning, was back in action, so I was able to get us fastpasses to ride in 30 minutes. The day was starting to warm up so this was perfect timing really!

Now it was time to head back to Paradise Pier again since my fastpass for California Screaming was up. Pluto was still greeting fans in the same spot as before, and we decided to stop to say hello this time! He was wonderful, as usual =)

After releasing some adrenalin in California Screaming we took a relaxing ride on the Golden Zephyr, before heading back to Grizzly Peak to use our Fastpasses for the Grizzly River Run. This was absolutely fantastic! I think it was our favorite ride of the park so far, together with Radiator Springs! Luckily my mum and I got away with only a couple of splashes… My dad on the other hand got absolutely soaked! Lol Anyway, we loved it so much that we decided to get fastpasses again as soon as we got off =D

Next we headed to Buena Vista Street to see the Red Car Trolley Boys. This was another great piece of live entertainment! Very catchy song too! Unfortunately I don’t have great pictures because it was quite crowded when we got there and we had to watch it from the side…

It was getting close to the time for the Pixar Parade but we decided to first venture into the only land we hadn’t visited yet: A bug’s land!

Turns out this was the best idea ever… Look who we bumped into:

He was hidden in a corner, we actually nearly missed him!! And he was looking very lonely completely on his own, so we had to stop to say hi!

Now it was time get a spot to watch the Pixar Play Parade!
0 permalink
7/30/2015 11:36 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Great report so far! Good that you got to meet Flik! Big Grin

--

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Dan.
0 permalink
7/30/2015 1:08 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 1, part 3 (be warned, this one is photo heavy)

First, it was the Inside Out pre-parade float. Now, what I don’t understand is, first, why couldn’t they just add it to the normal parade, second why couldn’t they have at least Joy and Sadness as real characters instead of animatronics, and third why haven’t they had the characters meeting in the parks already… I mean, the movie has been an absolute success, it is absolutely everywhere around where we travelled, even in the middle of nowhere in Utah, and you could already see little girls walking around the park carrying their Joy dolls… So get your act together Disney, please!!!!!
Other than that, it was a lovely float, and the animatronics even talk which is nice.

15 minutes later it was time to watch the Pixar Play Parade for the first time! Here are some pictures:

I really liked this parade I must say, water and all! :P

Now we were heading to try and get something to eat, but we were a bit trapped since we watched the parade from the very beginning so we were being blocked in all directions we were trying to go! So we decided to pop into the AntMan preview in Bug’s Land.

This was a bit meh… I think I would have much rather watched it’s tough to be a bug… and since I had already watched the trailer for AntMan anyway… There is an extra bit that they include to make use of the special effects in the theatre but it wasn’t particularly impressing.

After this, we decided to go for a wander around Cars Land, where we stopped for a picture with the funniest car of them all:

During the day we also saw Red and Lightning McQueen but we didn’t get any pictures unfortunately.

After our meet with Mater, we decided that since we were on holidays, our dinner was going to be ice cream at Ghirardellis!

I can’t remember their names, but one was chocolate and chocolate chip cookies and the other one was a banana split with chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream. They were absolutely delicious! They tasted even better than what they look believe it or not!

Next we headed back to Grizzly River Run since our Fastpasses were up. This time myself and my mum got absolutely soaked! I could have easily filled a bucket from the water I got out of my dress! But still… it was super fun!
We decided we would now go and watch the Frozen Sing Along. When crossing Buena Vista Street on the way to the theatre, we saw Mickey had finally taken a break after being there all day. He had given his spot to Minnie, who had a very long queue of fans waiting to meet her!

I didn’t take many pictures during the show, but here are two of them:

I wasn’t sure whether I was going to like this or not, but I thought it was actually really good, and I did enjoy it!

Next, we had Fastpasses for Goofy’s Sky School, which had finally been fixed. This was a great ride as well, although Goofy really needs to improve his flying skills :P Also, my parents didn’t enjoy it as much as I did lol.
After flying with Goofy it was finally time to start queuing for World of Color, but we decided to quickly jump into Ariel’s Under the Sea Adventure once again since there was no wait at all.

Eventually we made our way to the Gazebo in Paradise Pier, where they line up the people that have passes for the Blue Area. This was a bit of a joke to be honest. There were two cast members picking up the passes but there were no ropes, no line, no nothing, just a mass of people building up, so you could technically join whether you had fastpasses or not, which kind of defeats the purpose of the fastpass, doesn’t it? But anyway, after standing there for about half an hour they finally led us to the blue area. We decided to head to the ‘wet area’ at the very front, although we didn’t get wet at all. I think you only get wet if you are in the centre region, but we were a bit to the side, towards the bridge, and since there wasn’t any wind we stayed completely dry thankfully.

World of Color Celebrate! was just good, I didn’t think it was great. I don’t know how it compares to the other World of Color because I haven’t seen any videos (I’m going to go and do that right now actually…), but I have heard a lot of people prefer the other version. I liked how they tell the story of the Park and Walt Disney, and I liked the sequence when they mix different sequences of Disney movies, and then different sequences of the different classic attractions with their respective music… The absolute worst part was, in the middle, completely out of nowhere, they played the whole let it go song… This just didn’t fit in AT ALL. I mean, I like Frozen, but this whole obsession of Disney of putting Frozen everywhere… it’s just a big NO for me… Disney, take your own advice… and let it go! Something like Under the Sea from the little mermaid would have been a much better fit in all fairness… But anyway, like I said, it was good and I’m glad we watched it, but I prefer Disney Dreams in DLP…

And with this, our first day in the park came to an end and it was time to drag our feet back to the hotel to get ready for a whole new day of Disney magic!
0 permalink
7/30/2015 1:27 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

I must admit, I've never liked WoC much. Disney Dreams! blows all nighttime shows out of the water (literally, lol) for me.

--

Dan.
0 permalink
7/30/2015 1:47 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

DisneyDan Wrote:
I must admit, I've never liked WoC much. Disney Dreams! blows all nighttime shows out of the water (literally, lol) for me.

So having now watched a video of the original WoC, and by original I mean the one they had up to last year, I must say I like it much better than WoC Celebrate... although I agree with you, Disney Dreams is still unbeatable!
0 permalink
7/30/2015 1:55 PM
hildekitten
Peter Pan
hildekitten

Lovely trip report with so many great photos!
Thank you for sharing!
0 permalink
8/2/2015 5:23 AM
DisneyDuckLover
Thumper
DisneyDuckLover

Really enjoying this! Keep it up!

--
--
0 permalink
8/2/2015 3:29 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Thank you guys! Day 2 should be up tomorrow =D
0 permalink
8/4/2015 4:02 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 2 Part 1

A brand new day in a brand new park!! New for us anyway… As soon as we walked in at around 8.15 am we could tell it was going to be a busy day, and the difference in the crowds between parks is pretty obvious even that early in the morning… Good news is, Minnie and Pluto were already out greeting their guests in their Diamond Celebration outfits! Since we didn’t stop I couldn’t get any nice pictures, but I’m going to post these crappy ones because I like their sparkling outfits! =D

As we made our way towards the castle we bumped into this young lady who was on her way to New Orleans.

Here’s the castle fully decorated, although it is a lot more impressive at night:

I was never a big fan of this castle every time I had looked at pictures of it, but I must say, now that I have seen it in person, it’s grown on me… It’s beautiful in its own way!!

We were hoping to ride Peter Pan first, but the queue was already an hour long. Unfortunately this was the case for ALL dark rides in Fantasyland every day we visited… I was really looking forward to Peter Pan in particular, since I had high expectations from the renovations, but unfortunately, having only 3 days in the parks, an hour was just too long to wait for this type of ride… We moved on to the Matterhorn, which was already on 70 min and it wasn’t even 9 am… But luckily, the rest of the park was rather empty. We made it to it’s a small world, which was our first ride for the day.

I’m a big it’s a small word fan, as is my mum! And this one seems much longer than the one in Paris for some reason…

Next we headed to Toonstown, which had just opened, and it was extremely quiet (which was a nice change). The longest queue to meet a character was a 10 min wait to visit Minnie!
First up was my favourite VIP: Goofy!

Then we paid Minnie a visit at her adorable house.

Next we went next door to Mickey, who was actually waiting for us right at the door, looking a little bored!

I really liked Mickey’s house. It’s full of very thoughtful details. Here are a couple of pictures from his house, as well as the other VIP houses.

Here is Pluto too, who was roaming around:

After a fun ride on Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, we said our goodbyes to Toontown and headed towards New Orleans. Luckily Tiana was still there, so we had to stop and say hi!

Next, I ran quickly to get us all Fastpasses for Splash Mountain. While we waited for our Fastpass time, we went on Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. I loved Pirates, and was really looking forward to it! The Haunted Mansion was all right, definitely not one of my favorite rides.
Then it was time for our Splash Mountain Fastpasses!! I also loved this ride… it definitely didn’t disappoint!! Although being at the very front makes the drop just a little bit scary… needless to say I got soaked!

Then we decided to finish off Critter Country by going on Winnie the Pooh! Winnie himself was meeting before we went on the ride, and Tigger was with him when we came out. Also Eeyore was meeting around the corner as well, but I don’t have any pictures of him.

After checking out some of the treats at Pooh’s corner we decided it was time for a quick lunch stop.

I do regret not trying any of them! But we headed to the Hungry Bear Restaurant instead to try one of these delicious Lemon Cupcakes. They really are as delicious as I had heard they were! And very filling… Not the best of lunches but hey… lol

0 permalink
8/5/2015 12:21 PM
DisneyDuckLover
Thumper
DisneyDuckLover

I am sooo enjoying this hehe

--
--
0 permalink
8/12/2015 3:04 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Glad to hear it! Just finishing day 2 at the moment, it should be up tomorrow =D
0 permalink
8/13/2015 3:21 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 2, Part 2 (photo heavy!)

After our brief stop at the Hungry Bear Restaurant, we decided to hop on to Davy Crockett’s explorer canoes. This was fun I must admit, and it was nice to give the legs a break and work the arms for a change!! Then we continued on to New Orleans where did the same tour around Tom Sawyer’s island but this time on the Mark Twain Riverboat. Here are a couple of pictures:

Next it was time for our Fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain, but we decided to make a quick stop on the way and visit Tarzan’s Treehouse.

After riding Big Thunder Mountain, we had Fastpasses for Indiana Jones, so that’s where we headed. This was I think my favourite ride of this park! I didn’t know what to expect, but I certainly had no idea it was a completely different ride to the one in DLP! And the waiting are is soo elaborate… Really really cool! We all loved it!

Then we decided it was time for the Enchanted Tiki Room! And of course the compulsory dole whip!

This was delicious! And I don’t even like pineapple, but I loved it! Also the Enchanted Tiki Room, which I had no idea what it was about, was also a great little show. Very enjoyable!

Then we had a wander around the park as we headed towards it’s a small world to watch the parade, but we didn’t get to go on any more rides since the waiting lines were all more than an hour. We did do the castle walkthrough, which was nice, but nothing extraordinary really. And so we just went to get our spots for the parade… even though there was still another hour to go, it was already hard to find a spot! It was really really busy. And it was absolutely roasting!!! I was sitting in the sun for an hour waiting, and I ended up really not feeling well from the heat! So fair play to all those dancers all covered up and our furry friends for still coming out as cheerful and happy as they did! I certainly would not have been able to! Here are some pictures from the parade:

I liked the parade, although I did miss the prince’s! Not even Flynn sadly… But other than that, great parade, as usual!

Next we decided to stop by the theatre nearby and watch Mickey and the Magical Map which was about to start, while we waited for the parade crowds to clear.
I know I keep saying this about everything, but I really really loved this show!! I’m a big fan of musicals, so it was a no brainer really… And I got to see Pocahontas, which was one of my favourites as a kid!

Here are a couple of pictures:

Stitch was the hardest to get pictures of, he wouldn’t stand still at all…

edited by nala on 8/13/2015
0 permalink
8/15/2015 2:35 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 2, part 3

After the show we headed to The Village Haus in Fantasyland to grab something to eat. I forgot to take any food pictures, but I had a chicken burger (with just chicken, since I’m not a fan of salads or sauces) with chips, which was delicious, and my dad had a salad, which was quite big, and according to him, it was very good as well. After our eating stop, we walked around Fantasyland trying to find a ride to go on, but as usual, they all had more than 60 minutes wait. The only one that seemed to have a manageable queue was Storybook Land Canal Boats so we decided to join the queue. I must admit that I prefer the motorized version in DLP but it was still good.

Afterwards we decided it was time to grab a spot for the night parade, even though there was still over an hour to go. This time it was even harder to find a spot than for Soundsational, but we managed to find a spot by it’s a small world again, which was perfect for the fireworks later. A school band came out while we were waiting, which were pretty good, but they moved fairly quickly so it only entertained us for a couple of minutes… Finally it was time for the parade, which certainly didn’t disappoint!!! It was fantastic! I remember watching a similar parade when I was younger in DLP, and I must say it’s amazing the advances in technology! The floats back then, were a joke compared to these ones… they were very impressive in my opinion, and the soundtrack was also great! It was not easy to take pictures with my camera, but I still managed to get a couple of shots.

Unfortunately this is the best picture I got of Rapunzel, but her hair could glow in the dark, it was really cool!

After the parade, we just had to wait about 20 minutes for the fireworks, which we decided to watch from the same spot. Although in all fairness, it’s not like we had a choice, since Main Street would be absolutely mobbed and the park was absolutely packed at this stage, so trying to move anywhere really was mission impossible. It turned out to be not such a great spot after all, since we had a post in front of us, plus the it’s a small sign which ended up blocking some of the projections, plus, you may have noticed, someone decided to park a trolley with a balloon attached quite high up… which is now in all of my pictures… so thank you considerate family! (and let’s not get started on trolleys now… )

But anyway, the fireworks themselves were quite high up and since they are thrown from Toonstown, all things considered, it wasn’t such a terrible spot. Regarding the fireworks themselves, I must say I really enjoyed them!! The projections, which were coordinated with the fireworks, were along the same lines as Dreams in DLP, except they revolted around Walt Disney, and as opposed to World of Color, this was actually really well done in my opinion! Plus for a change, as much as the let it go sequence in World of Color was the worst part and completely out of place, the let it go sequence in the fireworks was one of my favorites (after the lion king of course…) and certainly one of the most spectacular ones for certain. Overall, you did it again Disney, great show!

I didn’t really get any pictures since it was quite hard, and I knew we’d be watching them again tomorrow!. But here are two shots so that you can see how the projections worked on it’s a small worl (plus what I mean about a lot of stuff blocking our way)

We had planned on staying until closing time, which would be midnight, but our poor bodies just couldn’t take it any longer! So it was time to say goodbye to the park and get some sleep to be ready for our last day in the park tomorrow!

0 permalink
8/21/2015 8:45 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Looking forward to the last day! Big Grin

--

Dan.
0 permalink
8/21/2015 1:43 PM
Nala
Stitch
Nala

Day 3, part 1 - our last day! =(

So it’s a brand new day of magic in Anaheim, and sadly our last day in the parks… But we were definitely ready to make the most of it! Since we had a 3-day park hopper, we had gotten 1 magic morning, in which we could access the park at 7.00 am, instead of 8.00 am, and today was the day! Even though I was aiming to be at the entrance before 7.00 am, my parents struggled a bit to get out of bed that morning (bare in mind we had been travelling for 3 weeks at this stage), so we didn’t make it in until 7.30. I was hoping we would be able to do some of the Fantasyland rides that I knew would be impossible to do any other time of the day. So we headed that way… Peter Pan had a 100 min wait Whaaaaa?. I’m not even kidding. All the rest were well over an hour. We headed to the Matterhorn. 80 min wait. To say I was shocked is an understatement. I mean, I knew it wasn’t going to be a walk straight in, but more than hour wait in all the popular attractions??… certainly not what I was expecting! And let me tell you one thing I learned about magic mornings during high season: unless you are there at least half an hour before the park opens (that being 6.30 am) or you want to use it to ride the least popular attractions, it is a complete waste of time!!!!! Seriously, the waits were actually less at around 8.30 than they were during that early hour! I don’t even know how that works but anyway… Moving on from the initial shock, we found that the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage had a 40 min wait, so we decided to give it a go. Also just to prove my point, the wait was 20 min once the park had actually opened. But it was worth the wait. During the first 5-10 min I was a bit skeptical, but then it definitely improved considerably, and we all really enjoyed it! Then it was time to do the runs for fastpasses. First we went to get fastpasses for Space Mountain, and then, I left my parents at the Tomorrowland terrace and headed to the other park to get fastpasses for Radiator Springs, for which there was no queue at all =D I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I am not a fan of waiting :P Anyway, when I was on my way out, I saw Chip and Dale were going to start greeting guests so I decided to start the line and make a quick photo stop, since I hadn’t seen them before in this trip. Here are the happy munks Cool:

As soon as I went in the other park, I spotted this very fashionable lady!

Definitely my favourite out of all the Diamond Celebration outfits! Unfortunately, since I knew my parents were waiting for me, I couldn’t stop for a picture, and she was gone next time we came by. Pluto was also meeting and earlier on, when I was on my way out, Mickey was also out!

I next headed towards the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree (which was as dead as can be) to get fastpasses for Fantasmic!, after which I went back to Tomorrowland to meet my parents. We then went on Buzz which was great as usual, although it stopped mid-ride for quite a while, but it helped bumped up the points, so I’m not complaining! Also while we were waiting we spotted Mary and Bert walking around!

We then headed towards Adventureland while we waited for the time for our Space Mountain fastpass. Jasmine, Aladdin and the genie were meeting by the oasis, but they were about to leave when we got there.

We decided to go on the Jungle Cruise instead, which was a nice little ride. Here are a couple of pictures:

After our cruise we got fastpasses for Indiana Jones, since we enjoyed it so much our previous day, and headed back to Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain. I knew it was a more tamed version than the one in DLP so I didn’t even know what to expect. I must admit I loved it, even if there were times in which I thought my neck was going to break!!

Then I was hoping we could stop to meet Thor and Captain America, but it turns out that the wait for Captain America, which was the one that was out, was 60 min, which I wasn’t willing to sacrifice. Had it been Thor, it may have beena different story… :P

By the way, their meet and greet is now called Meeting the Avengers or something like that, even though as far as I could tell it was just the two of them… and of course they alternate, but you never know who you are going to meet. In our previous day, we did see Thor out, and I later I regretted not stopping… since unfortunately, I didn’t get to meet any of them in the end, and I was really looking forward to it! Also, the area where they have them looks rather poor, particularly since most things around are closed down (or at least were while we were there) ie. Innovations and Autopia.
As we were leaving Tomorrowland, we also spotted two Stormtroopers patrolling the area.

It was time to change parks, and head towards Radiator Springs! But on our way out, we were lucky to see most of the VIPs out meeting at the entrance to the park. Minnie, the chipmunks, Donald, Goofy and Mickey were all out, but unfortunately all of their lines were closed so we couldn’t meet any of them

I would definitely have loved a picture with Goofy in his sparkly brand new outfit!
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed |