Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Disneyland General Discussion and Trip Planning » Weekend Disneyland Resort Character Update - May 7, 2011 (Pirates of the Caribbean Black Carpet)

Discuss Disneyland Resort character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
the topic is closed |
5/8/2011 10:19 AM
Loren
Peter Pan
Loren

On Saturday, I headed over to Disneyland to get a seat along the black carpet (the same thing as a red carpet) for the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides World Premiere. I've always wanted to watch a red carpet before, but just haven't had a chance (which is actually kind of weird considering I live in Hollywood and they happen here all the time). BUT, this one being at Disneyland seemed like a no-brainer for me.

Main Street USA gets ready for the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Main Street USA gets ready for the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Fortunately, I did NOT have to camp out all night. Thanks to a friend of mine who saved me a space, I was able to get there around 5:30 am and still get a wrist band. But, thankfully, I came when I did because they closed the line for wrist bands literally twenty people after me. So, Carmela, if you're reading this...thank you, thank you, thank you for doing the camping out and being gracious enough to save me a space.

Anyway, once we entered and got our space along the black carpet, we had another 11 hour wait. But, we were able to walk around in shifts for a little bit. At one point, I wanted to check out the newly re-opened Star Trader, which had been getting a refurbishment to go along with the upgrade of Star Tours. I noticed Buzz Lightyear was out.

Meeting Buzz Lightyear near The Star Trader by Loren Javier, on Flickr

And, then, as I waited in line, I noticed several of the Fab 5 (or, I should say Super 8) were out and about in Tomorrowland. Since Town Square was now occupied by a massive media center for the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides World Premiere, the characters usually out there were displaced. And, so, they made their way to Tomorrowland. It was fun getting pictures of a few of them in a different locale that I normally do. I also realized that Tomorrowland is large enough that it would make a good place for more character meet-and-greets if Disneyland ever did something different with characters.

Pluto doing meet-and-greet outside of The Star Trader by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Chip n' Dale doing meet-and-greet near Cosmic Waves in Tomorrowland by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Because Disneyland was just such a nightmare to navigate with all the re-routing going on between the black carpet along Main Street USA and the World Premiere stage on the Rivers of America, I didn't really get to explore much more than that. I did get to check out the World Premiere Stage and it looked fabulous. I wish I could have attended it, but $1,000 a pop is a little too out of my range. Bravo to Disney, though, for making it a benefit for the Boys and Girls Club of America.

The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides World Premiere Area on the Rivers of America by Loren Javier, on Flickr

The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides World Premiere Area on the Rivers of America by Loren Javier, on Flickr

At around 4:30 pm, as cast members tried to herd the general public out for an early closing, Mickey Mouse as a Pirate Captain appeared under the Pirates archway near the beginning of Main Street USA. He was taking pictures for the media and with several of the VIP guests. He never made his way down the black carpet which was a shame because I would have loved to have taken a picture with him.

Pirate Captain Mickey Mouse on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Pirate Captain Mickey Mouse on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

At around 5:00 pm, pirates galore came out to entertain the fans. Some of the pirates were wandering around getting the guests amped up for the black carpet by leading us in the pirates pledge and engaging us in the pirates greeting.

Pirate Entertainment on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Pirate Entertainment on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Other pirates entertained us with juggling and acrobatics.

And others provided musical interludes.

At about 6:00 pm, the celebrities started making their way down the black carpet. While not character related, I thought I'd share some photos of the celebrities were there.

Eric McCormack on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Tony Dovolani on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Jodie Foster on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Jennifer Grey on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Teri Hatcher on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Steven Tyler on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Penelope Cruz on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Jerry Bruckheimer on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

Johnny Depp meets the fans on the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Black Carpet by Loren Javier, on Flickr

CHECK OUT MY FLICKR SET WITH MANY MORE PHOTOS OF THE DAY, INCLUDING MANY CELEBRITY PHOTOS I DIDN'T INCLUDE HERE!

It was a truly exciting evening and a treat since this is something that Disneyland does not do all the time. I'm hoping that they do this for the Haunted Mansion film being developed right now. It would be cool to see what kinds of characters they would have at that time.
edited by Loren on 5/8/2011
edited by Loren on 5/8/2011

--
Visit Castles, Capes & Clones for discussion about the entire Disney Universe - from Disney (Castles), Marvel (Capes) and Star Wars (Clones)!

Like Castles, Capes & Clones on Facebook

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Twitter

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Google+
+2 permalink
5/8/2011 10:29 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Really cool! Thanks for sharing Loren!
I'm not sure I would wait 11 hours though No matter how hard core a Disney fan I am!! :P LOL!

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
5/8/2011 10:39 AM
Loren
Peter Pan
Loren

LOL...fortunately, since I'm there every weekend, there's nothing that I can't see next week or on a future visit. So, 11 hours wasn't so bad. The metal bleachers were probably the worst part. But, we took shifts and could stand up.

Also, apologies for anybody who viewed this entry early. I accidentally hit the publish button midway while adding photos. So, if you saw this early on, you might want to check it again for the photos.

--
Visit Castles, Capes & Clones for discussion about the entire Disney Universe - from Disney (Castles), Marvel (Capes) and Star Wars (Clones)!

Like Castles, Capes & Clones on Facebook

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Twitter

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Google+
+1 permalink
5/8/2011 10:48 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Yeah, I saw you added more photos.
I know what you mean about being there all the time. But I'm not sure I have the patience haha :P

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and rumours!

Visit Tsum Tsum Central for all the latest news on Disney Tsum Tsums, to update your own collection list and much more!

Instagram * Facebook * Twitter

Dan.
0 permalink
5/8/2011 10:49 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

Thanks for the report Loren! That is really kewl!! I agree with Dan that I'm not sure if I would wait that long but... guess I have waited almost as long for other things LOL... and hopefully you will get to meet Pirate Mickey someday soon

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
+1 permalink
5/8/2011 3:09 PM
Dragy
Mickey Mouse
Dragy

Looks like it was a really great and cool day!! I guess I would be as mad as you to wait 11 hours to see just a glimp of all the VIPS :p
0 permalink
5/9/2011 2:32 PM
Belleboy Alex
Chip 'n' Dale
Belleboy Alex

To be fair, I'd say that if you got a Meet with Johnny Depp, that'd count as a Character Meet. I don't know if it'd count as a Meet with Jack Sparrow, or a Meet with Johnny Depp, or indeed both, but I would class it as a Character Meet for sure.
+1 permalink
5/9/2011 3:43 PM
disneyphilip
Peter Pan
disneyphilip

If it's okay to post a link like this, I just thought I'd share this--a new YouTube video featuring Kermit the Frog at that premiere, chatting with some of the stars:

The frog even gets to throw in a shameless plug for the Muppet movie that's coming out this Thanksgiving. Big Grin
0 permalink
5/10/2011 3:06 AM
Belleboy Simon
Mickey Mouse
Belleboy Simon

Belleboy Alex Wrote:
To be fair, I'd say that if you got a Meet with Johnny Depp, that'd count as a Character Meet. I don't know if it'd count as a Meet with Jack Sparrow, or a Meet with Johnny Depp, or indeed both, but I would class it as a Character Meet for sure.

I think it definitely counts as a Meet, but you would not be allowed to count Jack Sparrow and Johnny Depp separately. It's like Meeting the Beast in Prince Adam gear. They're the same being. So if you've already Met Jack Sparrow, then Meeting Johnny Depp is just 'Meeting him in a different costume' in my book. Although, wasn't Johnny Depp also the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland? So that creates real confusion. That could be classed as getting three Meets in one by some people. Getting complicated now.
0 permalink
the topic is closed |