Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General News and Discussion » Disney seeks 'cast members' to teach English in China

Post-a-picture threads, scrapbooking ideas, general polls, photography tips, general chit-chat and more!
1/14/2012 3:26 PM
Tasha
Minnie Mouse
Tasha

Mickey Mouse is heading to the Great Wall — and you may have a chance to go with him.

English, the teaching arm of the Burbank-based entertainment giant, is in search of foreign trainers to teach English to children ages two through 12. The company has been advertising the jobs in the New York Times and online.

Disney’s push into China coincides with its plan to open Shanghai Disneyland. It broke ground on the $4.4 billion theme park and resort in April. The company is betting on the rise of China as a major economic engine — and the spending power of its vast population.

Foreign trainers hired for the China program will be given a contract of between 12 and 15 months. Trainers are given a monthly salary and a monthly housing allowance. Disney provides trainers with three weeks temporary housing until they can find apartments.

Other benefits include:

Flight to China.
A one-time training bonus.
Incentive programs.
100 percent paid health insurance, including dental insurance.
Life, accident and disability insurance.
Ten days of annual leave and five days of sick pay.

By the way, for those of you who always wanted to be Cinderella or Pluto, Disney calls its trainers “cast members.”

Disney has opened 30 Disney English centers in cities across China since it opened its Shanghai center in 2008.

American City Business Journals.
edited by Tasha on 1/14/2012

--
Tasha & Tasha 2.0
Tasha@MickeysFanClub.com
http://MickeysFanClub.com
+1 permalink
1/14/2012 6:08 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

Interesting! A very unique opportunity... a little strange that people have to find their own housing but otherwise the benefits sound pretty decent. I wonder what experience is required.

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
+1 permalink
1/14/2012 6:33 PM
Tasha
Minnie Mouse
Tasha

I think it would be very difficult to find housing within 3-weeks, much less something decent. Is this something your looking to do yourself?

--
Tasha & Tasha 2.0
Tasha@MickeysFanClub.com
http://MickeysFanClub.com
+1 permalink
1/14/2012 8:25 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

I agree... I would find it somewhat challenging to find housing within 3 weeks here... and can only imagine how much more difficult it would be in a new country where you don't know anyone and might have problems communicating.

As far as me... no, not something I am looking to do... but it is definitely an interesting opportunity for someone.

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
+1 permalink