Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Disneyland General Discussion and Trip Planning » Weekend Disneyland Resort Character Update - February 18, 2012 (Minnie's Fly Girl Charter Airline)

Discuss Disneyland Resort character sightings, questions, trip planning ideas, trip countdowns, trip reports & more
2/20/2012 10:43 AM
Loren
Peter Pan
Loren

This weekend, as Connor posted, Minnie's Fly Girl Charter Airline premiered in Condor Flats at Disney California Adventure.

Minnie's Fly Girls Charter Airline Stage by Loren Javier, on Flickr

The show begins with mechanic Lee leading Pan Am-esque flight attendants Pat, Amanda and Kate to the stage.

Minnie's Fly Girls Charter Airline Show by Loren Javier, on Flickr

The four then delight audiences with a series of travel and flying themed songs from the 1940s to the 1960s, including a wonderful medley of Disney flying songs starting with "You Can Fly!" and including "When I See An Elephant Fly" and "Let's Go Fly A Kite." (note to self: I need to take video of this next time)

Toward the end of the show, Minnie (aka Minnie Earhart) flies in and joins the crew in a number or two.

The show is incredibly enjoyable and, thankfully, exceeded my expectations ten fold. I, admittedly, was a little worried about how this show would turn out. The concept sounded interesting, but I thought it was a strange blend of eras of music and worried that I would be hearing songs by Peggy Lee, Elvis and Joan Baez all in the same show which would have just been a little weird. But, they keep to musical standards that you instantly recognize. And, the cast perform the show with such joy and humor that you can't help but find yourself singing along.

It's also to have a show with the wonderful innocence that most of us enjoy in a Disney show. Rather than it trying to be hip and edgy like Disney Dance Crew which just seems forced and uncomfortable, this show feels like a warm embrace. I love it!

To me, the biggest drawback is that the stage, once again, faces the sun, making it difficult, sometimes, for picture taking. I'm not quite sure why Disney California Adventure LOVES to make people stare at the sun while shows are going on, but, it seems like almost every one of their outdoor shows is like that. That said, I consider it just a minor drawback (especially since I'm now used to watching shows in such a manner).

The show also features the "talking" or "articulated" Minnie Mouse. I'm not necessarily a big fan of the talking head. I don't think it necessarily adds to the performance and she ends up appearing neckless, such as in this shot:

The nice thing is that, after the show, Minnie comes back out and meets at the bi-plane. Like Mickey Mouse when he comes out to meet after Disney Dance Crew, this is non-speaking Minnie coming out to meet. While her Minnie Earhart costume isn't new, it is one of my favorite costumes and I noticed that they also sewed a show logo on the back of her jumpsuit. Very cute!

Meeting Pilot Minnie by Loren Javier, on Flickr

While I initially worried about the show creating crazy traffic jams throughout Condor Flats, I have to admit that, while the show got a healthy audience, there was still plenty of walkway for those wanting to pass by.

I hope the show is popular and has a healthy life at the park. I can't wait to see it again.

--
Visit Castles, Capes & Clones for discussion about the entire Disney Universe - from Disney (Castles), Marvel (Capes) and Star Wars (Clones)!

Like Castles, Capes & Clones on Facebook

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Twitter

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Google+
+1 permalink
2/20/2012 11:45 AM
Maleficent Freak
Chip 'n' Dale
Maleficent Freak

Great report Loren!!! I wish that the talking Minnie would come out to meet guests. Also, was there any other character news for this weekend?

--
Connor
Follow me on Instagram for Disney pictures!
connor_rudolph
+1 permalink
2/20/2012 12:17 PM
Loren
Peter Pan
Loren

Thanks, Connor! We probably won't meet talking Minnie unless we're in a more controlled environment where the sound is better. LOL! As for other character news, nothing too out of the ordinary. I was with my nephews, so, didn't get to go around as much as I usually do. The big news was Minnie's Fly Girls.

--
Visit Castles, Capes & Clones for discussion about the entire Disney Universe - from Disney (Castles), Marvel (Capes) and Star Wars (Clones)!

Like Castles, Capes & Clones on Facebook

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Twitter

Follow Castles, Capes & Clones on Google+
0 permalink
2/20/2012 12:27 PM
Maleficent Freak
Chip 'n' Dale
Maleficent Freak

Your welcome! I checked your Flickr and I saw that you met Jake and Pilot Goofy. I'm hoping to meet Pilot Minnie And Pilot Goofy on my next trip. I think a good idea would be to incorporate a little sound machine inside of her head or the hips of Minnie so we could meet talking Minnie!

--
Connor
Follow me on Instagram for Disney pictures!
connor_rudolph
0 permalink
2/21/2012 2:53 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Thanks for the updates as always Loren!

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest news and rumours!

Dan.
0 permalink