Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW News and Rumors » Orange Bird (sadly not the character for now) to make a return at the Magic Kingdom?

Discuss Walt Disney World news and rumors including character news, press releases, closures, openings & more
3/19/2012 7:00 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

Many long time WDW fans will remember the Orange Bird. He was a character that appeared in the Magic Kingdom in the 1970s (and possibly 80s) that promoted the Florida Orange industry and would appear near the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland. In addition to the walk around character he was also featured on merchandise and in some commercials for the Florida Orange Growers Association.

One of the most common Orange Bird items were kids juice cups that were sold at the Sunshine Tree Terrace... they weren't just normal cups but they were shaped like the Orange Bird so they were basically a juice filled Orange Bird figure. Recently some Orange Bird retro merchandise has appeared in various places... mostly on pins. In addition to pins and other merchandise sometimes there have been sightings of a small Orange Bird figure displayed inside the Terrace (not for sale... just up on the shelf).

On our recent trip to WDW Dan and I decided to walk over to the Terrace to see if the Orange Bird was up on the shelf. As many of you may know, currently the Terrace is undergoing some renovations but it is still open. Sadly the Orange Bird was nowhere to be found; however, there was a management cast member walking by that saw us obviously looking for something and he asked if we needed help. We said no, we were just looking for the Orange Bird. His response was a bit of a shock as he said something along the lines of "not yet... but he should be back soon"... we asked what he meant he and while he didn't give too many specifics he indicated that the Orange Bird should be making a return to the Terrace soon (although not the walk around character... although we can hope he makes a return eventually as well) including a return of the Orange Birds kids cups!

I know it is pretty silly but I am really excited about an increase in Orange Bird stuff and especially the cups as I have childhood memories of the Orange Bird and the Orange Bird shaped cups... so I hope this does indeed come to pass... and if so I will definitely be getting one and will hope there are more great Orange Bird things otw!
edited by PeterPanFan on 3/19/2012

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
+2 permalink
4/17/2012 4:22 PM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.312249012177585.71003.143728699029618&type=1

LOOK what happen today!
0 permalink
4/19/2012 3:08 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

jbradnash Wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.312249012177585.71003.143728699029618&type=1

LOOK what happen today!

Neat! It came up on the Disneyparks blog recently too. The little juice cups are very cute.

I love the Orange Bird Mickey ears hat here (scroll down page to see it.)

I see they've brought back the Citrus Swirl as well, got to try me one of those next time I get over to WDW, I'm already hooked on their orange slushies.
0 permalink
4/19/2012 9:00 AM
Panchito
Minnie Mouse
Panchito

Very excited to test out the Citrus Swirl next time I'm in the area playing SotMK!
0 permalink
4/28/2012 6:50 PM
sehudson2006
Mickey Mouse
sehudson2006

The cups look very cute!
0 permalink
4/30/2012 5:04 PM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

Try it the whole Orange Bird thing this past weekend .... lots of improvement with service and products ... got a orange bird slippy cup but wish it was better quality ... but I LOVE the IDEA ,.... the Orange Bird Mickey Ears sold out completely while I was there
0 permalink
4/30/2012 5:28 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

I want the Mickey Ears... hopefully they get them back in stock

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
4/30/2012 8:31 PM
Maleficent Freak
Chip 'n' Dale
Maleficent Freak

Ive never seen those

--
Connor
Follow me on Instagram for Disney pictures!
connor_rudolph
0 permalink