Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » WDW News and Rumors » MK making more changes to Character Meet and Greets

Discuss Walt Disney World news and rumors including character news, press releases, closures, openings & more
4/14/2012 12:20 PM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

It look like today is the last day to see Pinocchio in Town Square ... very sad ... such a classic character to meet .... very sad!

Hopefully the Entertainment Department will get a bigger budget once the new Fantasyland is completely done on 2014 and with new parade that come out that year too!
0 permalink
4/15/2012 3:45 AM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Pinocchio isn't the most exciting character in the world, in fact we generally avoid him LOL, but it is sad nonetheless that he is leaving.

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest news and rumours!

Dan.
0 permalink
4/15/2012 9:15 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

Is he gone for good or being moved elsewhere, he was up near the Village Haus / It's a Small World briefly before wasn't he?

I have to say he's not one of my 'must do' meet n greets but yes, he is a classic character so it would be a shame to see him totally cut.
0 permalink
4/15/2012 6:20 PM
Shiva
Chip 'n' Dale
Shiva

What on Earth is going on at WDW? Pinocchio is not a priority character for me, either, but this constant cutting of characters is distressing to say the least!

--
"You have to live your life spherically--in many directions. Never lose your childish enthusiasm, and things will come your way." - Lindsey Duncan in Under the Tuscan Sun
+1 permalink
4/16/2012 10:39 AM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

I agree with everyone on being a medium priority character to meet BUT he is one of the most classic and iconic characters that Walt Disney himself help create ... I always get a photo with him ... he really completes that list of classical characters along with Snow White and Alice .... we just need DUMBO in the new sideshow tent to meet US soon!
0 permalink
4/16/2012 11:51 AM
DisneyMart
Sorcerer's Apprentice
DisneyMart

Blimey! I have never visited WDW and I don't believe I will be doing it any time soon. But all of these cuts seem a bit drastic. I would love them to increase the number of character meets and greats, not cut them! Surely they are one of the most popular things at the theme parks and a real attraction.

Martin

--
Follow me on twitter to see my character pictures and for live tweets from our trips to the Disney Parks!!

Next Trip: Halloween at Disneyland Paris 29th October 2014-2nd November 2014

www.facebook.com/DisneyMart

Now posting trip pictures on Instagram
0 permalink
4/17/2012 11:46 AM
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE
Chip 'n' Dale
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE

With all the money wdw makes they think just doing renivations and adding rides will make everybody happy but they should realize that characters are just as important to people and mixing it up is just as important.Its getting played i only go down about twice a year and there is hardly anthing new in the character world to talk about..How sad,theres alot of people like myself that refuse to go to the parks with no new characters.I just wait for events and parties and hope they dont keep it the same.Last 2 years star wars weekend the only character change they had at hollywood studios was they brought out c3po last year for a meet and greet.It was definately cool.Hopefully they bring some older characters back this year like the emperor,greedo,han solo...because PEOPLE LIKE CHANGE IN CHARACTERS!!!
0 permalink
4/17/2012 2:53 PM
Panchito
Minnie Mouse
Panchito

I love character changes as well!! I think people are forgetting that Merida is joining MK in May, and it's typical to lose a character before we gain a character. I'm not sure why we lost him so soon, but perhaps that's where the trade is?! No idea, just trying to apply logic.

At least Pinocchio leaving isn't a full retirement. He still appears a couple days at week over at DHS, often with Geppetto.
edited by Panchito on 4/17/2012
0 permalink
4/18/2012 10:07 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

Panchito Wrote:
I love character changes as well!! I think people are forgetting that Merida is joining MK in May, and it's typical to lose a character before we gain a character. I'm not sure why we lost him so soon, but perhaps that's where the trade is?! No idea, just trying to apply logic.

True, we lose one we gain one, however, not everyone may be prepared to stand in line for a couple of hours in 90 degrees to meet Merida. Rapunzel's line was always long and made longer by the inclusion of the 'show' with the dancing and so on. If Merida's going to have the whole archery shebang, I'm assuming it's going to be the same old 'sorry, the next show after the next show after this show is full' scenario. Point being, Pinocchio was a lot for accessible than Merida is going to be, especially if Brave is hyped up like Tangled was. It is weird that Pincocchio has been pulled so soon though but Disney does move in mysterious ways. =S

Grumpy N.Y. Mike Wrote:
With all the money wdw makes they think just doing renivations and adding rides will make everybody happy but they should realize that characters are just as important to people and mixing it up is just as important.

Oh I hear you. The characters are what make the parks (or at least for me), you can have your big rides and your fancy stores but without characters it's just another theme park. It's a crying shame that there are so many fantastic characters we never get to see any more but the same ones crop up many times. Wouldn't it be nice if MK & Epcot started doing 'pop up surprise' like they do at DHS (or even the character bus back at Epcot!) Wishful thinking...
edited by Rune on 4/18/2012
+1 permalink
4/18/2012 10:14 AM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

I agree with the statement, "The characters are what make the parks (or at least for me), you can have your big rides and your fancy stores but without characters it's just another theme park." Disney is well known throughout the world for the animated movies and characters ... people visit to get photos with them ... to me it is huge part of the experience and the memories that you create when you are there!
0 permalink
4/25/2012 4:50 AM
Belleboy Alex
Minnie Mouse
Belleboy Alex

DisneyDan Wrote:
Pinocchio isn't the most exciting character in the world, in fact we generally avoid him LOL, but it is sad nonetheless that he is leaving.

Yep, not a big fan of him either. Only good Pinocchio moment I remember was when he disappeared off DLP's Party train - he arrived on the Party Train, but defintiely wasn't on it when he left?
0 permalink
4/25/2012 6:42 AM
3BluEyedBabies
Mickey Mouse
3BluEyedBabies

I don't understand why they keep taking characters out of the mix. When we took our 2 yo to WDW in 2006, we hardly rode any rides because she was too scared for most of them and meeting the characters was ALL she wanted to do. It just doesn't make sense why they take characters away instead of just adding more. The new rides are great, but for the very young, the magic is all in meeting the characters; the new and the classics. I love everything Disney, but wish they would hear us more. You certainly can't meet these characters any where else, so why wouldn't they focus more on meet & greets instead of just adding more attractions?
+1 permalink
4/25/2012 9:26 PM
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE
Chip 'n' Dale
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE

Too bad this never gets back to walt disney world orlando florida...They need someone thats works the characters to come to this site and understand that this is what people(including us adults)want to see...Get back with the older characters we know there out there.Its funny when you see athletes come to WDW and all of a sudden you see them with all these rare characters who they dont bring out like were not good enough.Im on it and i see theres many of fans with me!!
0 permalink
4/28/2012 11:08 AM
Drew
Minnie Mouse
Drew

I doubt Merida will have the same draw that Rapunzel had.
0 permalink
4/29/2012 4:07 PM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

I am kinda neutral on that .... I think she will be popular ..... Pixar's first face character and first true fairytale ... it is gonna be a big hit!
0 permalink
4/30/2012 8:25 AM
Drew
Minnie Mouse
Drew

Oh I think she'll be popular. I just wonder how long her wait times will be.
0 permalink
4/30/2012 12:18 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how popular she is and how exactly her meet and greet will work

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
4/30/2012 3:38 PM
jbradnash
Chip 'n' Dale
jbradnash

I am thinking her wait is going to be the same .... I heard that they want it to be interactive like early stages of Rapunzel back in 2010 (I was there on the first day and the first person to meet Rapunzel at the Magic Kingdom) ... but with crowd and demands it may be hard to do ..... I am hoping the 3 bears are going be funny .... I know that they are def going to be there to entertain the crowds
0 permalink