Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General News and Discussion » Merida meet and greet

Post-a-picture threads, scrapbooking ideas, general polls, photography tips, general chit-chat and more!
4/23/2012 6:20 PM
rebray10
Minnie Mouse
rebray10

As you know, it was annouced in the DisneyParks blog awhile back that Merida would be making her way to DL and Magic Kingdom parks in May. I personally feel that this is a bit soon; I mean, how do the execs know people will like her? I haven't even heard he talk outisde of a fews words in teh trailer!
Will this meet and greet blow up and become more popular then anticipated a-la the Tnagled m & g? (Rarely drops under an hour wait at DL and its been there for, what 18 months now!) or will it be a passing fad that cools off once the movie comes and goes?

What are your thoughts and opinions fellow character fans?
0 permalink
4/24/2012 2:04 AM
Camthalio
Minnie Mouse
Camthalio

I remember that I met Chicken Little at DCA, before his movie came out. Nobody was interested in him, we were the only ones wanting to meet him!

--
Disneyland Resort Paris: | 1999 | 2001 | 2002 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 (2x) | 2008 | 2009 (2x) | 2010 | 2012 | 2013 |
Disneyland Resort California: | 2005 | 2008 | 2010 | 2012 | Walt Disney World: | 2011 | Disney Cruise: | 2012 |
0 permalink
4/24/2012 3:21 AM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

While I think it is great they are quick about getting characters out for new movies, I agree I'm not convinced it is great to have them long before the movie is out unless it is an already known character. The movie isn't released until the end of June so if they are out in May it will be a month until their movie is out.

No one knows who they are and even if you do know who they are you don't know much about them. I remember when Angelica first came out in the parks and no one knew who she was except us... she was wandering around Adventureland and I think everyone thought she was just a normal cast member. Then when we met her we didn't know what to talk to her about since we didn't know anything about her yet.

So yeah, *very* happy they are adding her as a character but not sure why so early... seems like seeing the movie would make people interested in meeting her but having her there probably wont make too many more people excited about seeing the movie.

I guess it is good for character fans though as they have a chance to meet her before anyone else will really want to so can avoid potentially long lines later LOL
edited by PeterPanFan on 4/24/2012

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
4/24/2012 3:35 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

I'm pleased that she's going to be there but wish it would be a regular meet and greet rather than something that seems like its going to severely limit the number of people that can actually meet her (assuming that the archery thing that's been mentioned is going to run along the same lines as the old Rapunzel & Flynn meet and greet.) It would be nicer if she just met people andthey could have pics, pose with a bow if they wanted and then go on their merry way. Incidentally, do we know any more about the bear cubs that were going to played as puppets along with her? Are they still appearing?

And yeah, I wish Disney could wait until the movie is a little more imminent before putting Merida out, I guess if you're around the parks before the movie it may work to your advantage and you can see her before lines get post-movie insane.

I remember when Angelica first came out in the parks and no one knew who she was except us... she was wandering around Adventureland and I think everyone thought she was just a normal cast member. Then when we met her we didn't know what to talk to her about since we didn't know anything about her yet.

We met Angelica before POTC-OST last year too and yup, she was just wandering around near the Adventureland Verandah more or less being overlooked by everyone who went past, and as we like to chat to charries, it was indeed tough not to ask a question she couldn't answer at that time.

Of course at the end of the day I guess it's all hooked into money and hype, Merida is due to arrive in the parks very soon and lo and behold, the first of what will no doubt be a very long line of Brave merchandise is arriving in the stores right now.
0 permalink
4/24/2012 5:40 AM
Belleboy Alex
Minnie Mouse
Belleboy Alex

"I remember when Angelica first came out in the parks and no one knew who she was except us... when we met her we didn't know what to talk to her about since we didn't know anything about her yet."

Yes, this must have been strange. It's odd Meeting a Character and not 'knowing them' yet. I find that the more you know about the Character - their interests and their personality - the more fun you can have with them!
0 permalink
4/24/2012 8:17 AM
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE
Chip 'n' Dale
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE

anyone know around the date merida will arrive in us parks?
0 permalink
4/24/2012 12:21 PM
DisneyDan
Sorcerer
DisneyDan

Unless I had completely imagined it, I thought 28th May... but I could have made that up haha :P

--
Check the Character Central Blog for all the latest news and rumours!

Dan.
0 permalink
4/24/2012 3:54 PM
rebray10
Minnie Mouse
rebray10

I believe you're right DisneyDan!
On another note, I'm curious about this whole 'archery training' thing. I mean, I'm not familiar with the area near Small World where the Merida m & g is going, but I'm pretty sure there won't be a lot of room.
Maybe I read it wrong and the archery thing is only at WDW...I'll have to go find that blog post.
edited by rebray10 on 4/24/2012
0 permalink
4/25/2012 10:26 AM
Rune
Angel
Rune

I see we've now got our first glimpse at what Merida will actually look like in the parks, photos popped up over Tumblr, Facebook and various Disney-dedicated sites from yesterday's LV CinemaCon.

Nothing has been published officially on the parks blogs or anywhere yet and the pics are pretty large so I'll just link to this item on Inside the Magic.net where you can see the Pixar princess for yourselves.

So, thoughts on Merida?

I have to be honest here and say I am not 100% happy with her hair, it's lovely falling down her back etc but in one of those shots it's just sitting straight up on top of her head like its just been dropped there and it just looks like it doesn't fit. =S I have a couple of other minor quibbles too but I'm shushing up for now, lol.
0 permalink
4/25/2012 12:38 PM
PeterPanFan
Sorcerer
PeterPanFan

Yeah, I would think her hair would be more "poofy" on top... not sure about her outfit as I haven't seen enough stuff on Brave to have a true opinion one way or the other yet but it doesn't look bad... also in the shots I have seen from the movie she has a very round face which will probably be impossible for her "friends" to have.... she definitely has more exaggerated features than the other princesses which makes her tougher as a face character.... but overall would say they did a pretty good job except needing more "poof" :P

--
Visit the Disney Character Central Blog for all the latest character news and information!
0 permalink
4/26/2012 12:50 AM
Disney-Me
Stitch
Disney-Me

I think she looks great!! I liked her! Welcome to the family Princess Merida!!! Big Grin

--
You have always been my dearest friend 💚 You make me feel like what your name is....HAPPY 💚
0 permalink
4/26/2012 5:04 AM
Belleboy Alex
Minnie Mouse
Belleboy Alex

She reminds me of Helena Bonham-Carter
0 permalink
4/26/2012 8:25 AM
mastromjm
Chip 'n' Dale
mastromjm

Merida looks very pretty, but I agree with the others here, she could use some changes to her hair to make it truer to the film. Also, why is her dress so sparkly? She doesn't seem like the kind of princess that would have a sparkly dress.
edited by mastromjm on 4/26/2012
0 permalink
4/26/2012 12:36 PM
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE
Chip 'n' Dale
GRUMPY N.Y. MIKE

will she be at wdw in may anyone know the location and date?
0 permalink
4/28/2012 6:33 PM
sehudson2006
Mickey Mouse
sehudson2006

We're going to be there in May, and I really hope we get to meet her!
0 permalink
4/28/2012 10:07 PM
Maleficent Freak
Chip 'n' Dale
Maleficent Freak

Yay her debut is in a month!!!!!

--
Connor
Follow me on Instagram for Disney pictures!
connor_rudolph
0 permalink